We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website.   If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive cookies, but if you want, you can change your cookies settings at any time.


Who is entitled to care and support?

- find out about the eligibility criteria used by Bromley Council

This page explains the eligibility criteria used by the Council to help you understand who is entitled to care and support. Use the links below to find out more.


Bromley Council has to provide help for your “eligible needs”, depending on your financial circumstances. “Eligible needs” are worked out after you have had an assessment.

The eligibility threshold for adults with care and support needs is based on identifying how your needs affect your ability to achieve the relevant outcomes - see below - and how this impacts then on your wellbeing. The Council will consider whether your needs:

  1. arise from or are related to a physical or mental impairment or illness
  2. make them unable to achieve two or more specified outcomes
  3. as a result of being unable to meet these outcomes, there is likely to be a significant impact on the adult’s wellbeing

Your needs are only eligible where they meet all three of these conditions.

The relevant outcomes

The relevant outcomes measured include:

  • managing and maintaining nutrition, such as being able to prepare and eat food and drink
  • maintaining personal hygiene, such as being able to wash themselves and their clothes
  • managing toilet needs
  • being able to dress appropriately, for example during cold weather
  • being able to move around the home safely, including accessing the home from outside
  • keeping the home sufficiently clean and safe
  • being able to develop and maintain family or other personal relationships, in order to avoid loneliness or isolation
  • accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering, including physical access
  • being able to safely use necessary facilities or services in the local community including public transport and recreational facilities or services
  • carrying out any caring responsibilities, such as for a child

Other requirements

You will be entitled to help if you are eligible and live locally. You will be entitled to care depending on 5 “situations”, which are:

  • when the type of care and support you need is free
  • if you cannot afford to pay the full cost of your care and support
  • when you ask Bromley Council to meet your needs
  • you do not have the mental capacity, and have no one else to arrange care for you
  • when the cap on care costs comes into force, your total care and support costs exceed the cap

What happens if Bromley Council must meet your needs?

In this case, Bromley Council has to help you to decide what care and support you need and want. They will do this by putting together a care and support plan for you.

You can find out more about this on our support planning page.

What and when will people have to pay for their care?

While some care and support services do not cost anything, often the Council will charge for it.

Whether Bromley Council asks you to pay some or all of the costs of the care depends on your income and savings. But, where the costs of care would mean your income goes below a certain level the Council will pay some of the costs. This ensures that people who have modest incomes still receive the care they need and have a minimum level of income.

You can ask the Council to arrange for care and support regardless of how much income you have. This means that those who do not want to arrange their own care – for whatever reason – do not have to go without. But remember, that if your income is above a set level you will still have to pay for some or all of your care - and the Council may charge you an administration fee to do this for you.

You can find out more about this on our 'Paying for Care Services' page.

For those who do have to pay for their care and support, you may be eligible for a “deferred payment agreement”, which means that charges are delayed and are repaid to Bromley Council at a later date.

You can find out more about this on our 'Paying for Care Services' page.

Contacting Bromley Council

Read our 'How to contact Bromley Social Services' page to find out how to contact Bromley Council to request an assessment.

print this page

Have you found something wrong with this page? If so, let us know.


Connect with us


Back to top