We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website.   If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive cookies, but if you want, you can change your cookies settings at any time.

Information, advice and support

 A wide range of support and advice is available which you can access in your own time and without any referral.

If you want further support or advice, you can contact one of the two Independent Supporters schemes within the borough.

Independent Support is a time limited programme to provide additional support to young people and parents during the implementation of the SEND reforms.

Discover the Bromley Information Advice Support Service (IASS)


Information, Advice and Support Service

The Information, Advice and Support Service (IASS - formerly Parent Partnership) offers information, advice and support, for parents and carers of:

  • children and young people with special educational needs (SEN) or disabilities from birth to 25
  • all children (regardless of SEN) on their child's transition from primary school to secondary school and in-year admissions


How to contact

You can contact the Information, Advice and Support Service by calling 0208 461 7630 or e-mailing iass@bromley.gov.uk.


What service do IASS provide?

Services provided by IASS include:

  • Helpline and email support (phone lines are open between 9.30am and 4pm)
  • Meetings in a local Children & Family Centres to discuss difficulties
  • Independent Volunteer Supporter (IVS) assistance at meetings
  • Help communicating with professionals (letter writing, emails, phone calls)
  • Support to achieve positive outcomes at meetings and reviews about your child
  • Help understanding reports by professionals
  • Advice on SEN systems, procedures and processes
  • Knowledge of local schools and services
  • Guidance on Education Health & Care Plans (EHCPs)
  • Mediation at all stages with schools and the Local Authority
  • Information on Health and Social Care policies and procedures
  • Support with the transition between each educational stage
  • Support and advice with Post 16 options
  • Support with SEND Tribunals
  • SEN focussed workshops and sessions at Children & Family Centres
  • Signposting to other support services


Independent Support Service

IASS also currently provides an Independent Support Service.

Independent Supporters offer a range of impartial support for families with children and young people with SEN throughout the statutory assessment and Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan process.

Support is available to families and young people in the process of applying for an EHC plan.

The Services IVS are also fully trained to carry out their role as Independent Supporters and are independent of Bromley Council.



Independent Supporters

Independent Supporters are individuals recruited and managed by the Independent Supporters Consortium in Bromley. They offer a range of impartial and time limited support for families with children and young people with Special Educational Needs (SEN).


How to contact

To contact Independent Supporters is@bromleymencap.org.


What service do Independent Supporters provide?

They will support parents of children with SEN and young people with SEN through the statutory assessment and Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan process.

They will offer support to families and young people in the process of transferring from SEN Statements to a new EHC as well as those who are new referrals.

Independent Supporters offer a graduated level of support in a number of ways. You may find the information on their website will meet your needs - www.bromleyparentvoice.org.uk/meet-the-independent-supporters.

They provide training opportunities, workshops and webinars where they concentrate on certain areas of the EHC Plan or the Children & Families Act.

There are also Volunteer Independent Parental Supporters (VIPs) working alongside the IS Team to deliver this service.


Other organisations offering advice, information and support

We have listed some of the main local and national organisations through the links below.

For a more comprehensive listing of national and local charities offering advice and information, which is searchable by condition, location, name, etc. please visit the Charities Register [external website] which is maintained & provided by the Charities Commission.




Need more help?

Find out who to talk to

Contact the Information, Advice and Support Service for free, impartial information, advice and support for parents and carers of children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND). Support is also offered to children and young people with SEND. They can also help provide information in a non-web format.

E-mail: iass@bromley.gov.uk

Call: 020 8461 7630

Visit our IASS page

print this page

Have you found something wrong with this page? If so, let us know.


Connect with us


Back to top