Hearing Impairment

Deaf Access provides a diverse range of groups and services aimed at supporting independence and empowerment to those who are hard of hearing.Man with his hand cupped to his ear

Action on Hearing Loss( Formerly known as Royal National Institute for the Deaf) is the largest charity in the UK tackling hearing loss and making hearing matter. RNID offers a range of services for deaf and hard of hearing people and provide information and support on all aspects of deafness, hearing loss and tinnitus. As a membership charity, they aim to achieve a radically better quality of life for deaf and hard of hearing people. Their work involves campaigning and lobbying, providing services, training, products and equipment, and undertaking medical and technical research. They work throughout the UK.

Breakdown Assistance for Deaf drivers: Deaf people can now use the Emergency Roadside Telephones operated by the Highways Agency if they breakdown on the motorway. The phones connect directly to a Highways Agency operator who will initiate Text Mode - allowing them to text the caller, and the caller to answer yes or no using the tick and cross buttons. For more information visit www.royaldeaf.org.uk and search for "breakdown" or call the Highways Agency on 08457 50 40 30.

There are some pages in Mylife that have British Sign Language on them:

Take a look at Bromley My Life Youtube channel for other BSL videos

Useful links

British Sign Language logo