Who can foster?
Our foster carers come from all walks of life
– just like the children and young people who they care for
We are looking for all types of people to become our foster carers.
No matter your gender, sexual orientation, ethnic background, age, religious beliefs, disability or marital status.
What matters to us is that our foster carers can offer a child or young person support, care and love.
We will provide all the training you need, as well as financial and professional support so that you in turn can provide your foster child with all the support they need.
What are the requirements?
You don’t need to have any formal qualifications – but you should have some experience of having children around you. We will also expect you to be committed to the training we offer.
You can apply to foster for Bromley if:
- You are over 21
- You have a spare bedroom available for use by a foster child
- You have no serious criminal convictions (including sexual offences, violent offences and/or cruelty to either adults or children)
Are there any other essential requirements?
Yes. To foster for Bromley you need to have:
- a positive attitude to caring for children and young people and be interested in learning more about them
- patience, adaptability and resilience - some of the children we need you to care for may be unpredictable because of their earlier life experiences
- a sense of humour!
- an ability to work as part of a team alongside social workers, teachers, health professionals and, where necessary, the child or young person’s family
- a willingness for you and your family to undertake police and medical checks – and discuss any findings with us
- a willingness to attend initial and ongoing training and support groups to enable you to foster successfully
- a stable relationship if you are applying as a couple
- a safe home within an hour of the London Borough of Bromley for short term fostering so that we can support you properly and the child can keep in touch with their family and friends
- a willingness to provide a smoke-free environment – even if you are a smoker
You can also read through our myth-buster below to see who can - and who cannot - foster for Bromley.
The right time
We understand that the time must be right for you for you to become a foster carer.
We have found that people undergoing major life events, such as bereavement or moving house, need time to adjust before starting to foster.
However, you are still welcome to find out more – there is a wealth of information on this site and you can also come to one of our Drop-In Sessions.
Get in touch
Our online contact form
020 8461 7701
Write to us
Bromley, BR1 3UH
Come along to see us