Living well with Dementia
Helping people with dementia and their carers make informed choices about their lives
How Bromley can help you
This section of the Bromley MyLife website will be helpful for anyone
- Who has been told they have dementia – however recent that was
- For close friends and family of the affected person, as it contains information for anyone taking on a caring role.
As this section of the Bromley MyLife website evolves we will add further information - including descriptions, documents and links - so please check back regularly.
The word dementia describes a set of symptoms that may include
- Memory loss
- Difficulties with thinking
- Problem-solving deterioration
- Language difficulties
- Possible changes in their mood or behaviour
These changes are often small to start with, but for someone with dementia they often affect their daily life.
What you can do
You might choose to read through the whole section, or, if you prefer, you can focus on the parts that seem most relevant to you and come back to read the other sections at a later date.
If we are missing anything please let us know by
Understanding Dementia - FREE training sessions
From September 2018, new sessions of the "Understanding Dementia" training course are available for booking. Moreover, there are 2 new sessions for anyone who has completed the Understanding Dementia course "Behaviours we find Challenging and Successful Communication".
The sessions available to book are as follows:
- Understanding Dementia - 12th September 2018 - 09.30 to 16.00 – Bromley & Lewisham Mind, 20b Hayne Road, Beckenham
- Understanding Dementia - 10th October 2018 - 09.30 to 16.00 – Bromley & Lewisham Mind, 20b Hayne Road, Beckenham
- Understanding Dementia - 15th November 2018 - 09.30 to 16.00 – Bromley & Lewisham Mind, 20b Hayne Road, Beckenham
These free sessions are open to anyone in the borough who may come into contact with people with dementia. Please note these sessions are not available to Care Managers and Extra Care Housing staff or to Family Carers, who have access to other training opportunities that are currently provided.
Already attended an Understanding Dementia session?
There are further training sessions for anyone who has already attended the Understanding Dementia sessions and would like to learn more/develop further skills:
- Behaviours we find Challenging in Dementia Care - 27th September 2018 - 09.30 to 16.00 – Bromley & Lewisham Mind, 20b Hayne Road, Beckenham
- Successful Communication - 22nd November 2018 - 09.30 to 16.00 – Bromley & Lewisham Mind, 20b Hayne Road, Beckenham
Please be aware that places are limited and sessions do tend to fill up quickly. Please note that a service charge of £50 may be incurred for non-attendance if a place has been booked and no notice given.
To book a session
If you would like to book a place please email email@example.com.
These sessions are provided by the Bromley Dementia Support Hub, on behalf of the London Borough of Bromley and Bromley CCG.
Find out more about the Free Dementia courses visiting the MindCare Dementia Support website.