We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website.   If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive cookies, but if you want, you can change your cookies settings at any time.

carer's assessments

Have an assessment of your needs

See what support you can get

On this page you can find:

  • Who can have a carer’s assessment
  • How to get a carer’s assessment

Discuss your needs

Carer’s assessments are for adult carers of adults (over 18 years) who are disabled, ill or elderly.

The assessment is an opportunity to discuss with Bromley Council what support or services you need. The assessment will look at how caring affects your life, including for example, physical, mental and emotional needs, and whether you are able or willing to carry on caring.

If you are a young carer, please visit our young carers page.


Who can have a carer’s assessment

Any carer who appears to have needs for support can have an assessment by Bromley Council.

As a carer you are entitled to an assessment regardless of the amount or type of care you provide, your financial means or your level of need for support. You can have an assessment whether or not the person you care for has had an assessment of their needs, or if Bromley Council have decided they are not eligible for support. Click here to find out more about assessments for adults with care needs on our Assessing your care needs page.

If you and the person you care for agree, a combined assessment of both your needs can be undertaken at the same time.

If you are sharing caring responsibilities with another person, or more than one person, including a child under 18, you can each have a carer’s assessment. You don’t necessarily have to live with the person you are looking after or be caring full-time to have a carer’s assessment. You may be juggling work and care and this is having a big impact on your life.


How to get a carer’s assessment

You can contact Bromley Council's Adult Early Intervention Service by phone - 020 8461 7777 -, in writing or on-line, and ask for a carer’s assessment or for a review of your support plan. If you want to, you can ask for an assessment before you take up your caring role.


Adult Early Intervention Service contacts


You can also tell us about your care and support needs or the needs of someone you know by completing our online Initial Information Form - click here.


Before your carer’s assessment

If you have arranged to have a carer's assessment of your needs, give yourself plenty of time to think about your role as a carer and note your thoughts down. You might consider:

  • Whether you want to continue being a carer
  • If you were prepared to continue, what changes would make your life easier
  • If there is any risk that you will not be able to continue as a carer without support
  • Whether you have any physical or mental health problems, including stress or depression, which make your role as a carer more difficult
  • Whether being a carer affects your relationships with other people, including family and friends
  • If you are in paid work, whether being a carer causes problems at your work (such as often being late)
  • If you like more time to yourself so that you can have a rest or enjoy some leisure activity
  • If you like to do some training, voluntary work or paid work


Further information

You may also find it useful to read more about carers assessment clicking here to go onto the Carers UK website [external website].

Alternatively, you can also click here to download a free guide on Carers Assessment from Carers UK [PDF, 637 KB].


print this page

Have you found something wrong with this page? If so, let us know.


Connect with us


Back to top