We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website.   If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive cookies, but if you want, you can change your cookies settings at any time.

Find out who can get help

- helping you understand the assessment process

Bromley Council will decide whether you need care and support to help you to live your day-to-day life by carrying out an assessment. Find out what this means below.


What is the assessment process?

The assessment will be done by a trained professional, such as a social worker or occupational therapist, who will consider a number of things, such as:

  • Your needs and how they impact on your wellbeing – for instance, do you need help getting dressed or support to get to work
  • The outcomes that matter to you – for example, whether you are lonely and want to make new friends
  • Your individual circumstances – for example, whether you live alone or whether someone supports you

The purpose of the assessment is to get a complete picture of you and your needs and goals. Following this, the Council will decide if any of the needs identified mean you are eligible for support. Some care needs are not met by public organisations (such as the Council and the NHS), so the Council uses the national eligibility criteria to determine which needs they can provide support for.


What are the requirements for assessment?

The Council is required to carry out a needs assessment to decide whether you are eligible to receive care and support. The assessment:

  • Must be provided to anyone who appears to need care and support, regardless of your finances or whether the Council thinks your needs will be eligible
  • Must be of your needs and how they impact on your wellbeing, and the outcomes you want to achieve
  • Must be carried out with your involvement as well as your carer, if you have one, or someone else that you nominate - this can include an independent advocate

As part of the assessment process the Council has to think about other things besides traditional services that can help you to achieve your goals, and whether any other services available locally could help you stay well for longer. For example, if you have been in hospital, the Council may suggest that you use a reablement service.

During the process you can have as much contact with the Council as you want. You can also ask the Council to think about the needs of your family, if, for example, you have a young carer. Thepeople that assess you have to have the appropriate training, and that experts should carry out complex assessments, for example, if you are deafblind [external website].

If you want to, you can also carry out a self-assessment, where you take the lead in determining your needs and the outcomes you want. Bromley Council will still be involved to help support the process and ensure they are happy that you have identified all of your needs.


How does the council determine who has eligible needs?

Following your assessment, Bromley Council has to decide if you are eligible for care and support. To do this, they use the national minimum threshold for eligibility, which is the same across England.

Read our 'Who is entitled to care and support' page to find out more.

print this page

Have you found something wrong with this page? If so, let us know.


Connect with us


Back to top