Why choose to adopt with Bromley Council?
Our most important role is to find a family for Bromley children who need an adoptive placement.
Within this overall role we are in a position to consider whether you would be able to meet their needs and become suitable adoptive parents for our children.
Adoption support before placement
The nature of this support will change, depending on what stage of the adoption process you are at but we will try our best to give you appropriate advice, information and guidance at every stage from the moment you contact us until your Adoption Order comes through – and beyond, if required.
Our Adoption Support Adviser is the Manager of the Post Adoption Support Team.
We have a specialist advice line available everyday.
You can call us on 020 8313 4309 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outside of these times, should you require help in an emergency you need to contact our our emergency duty team out of hours on 0300 303 8671.
Support during the matching process
The advantage of registering with Bromley is that we are also responsible for placing children for adoption in the Bromley area, at the same time as preparing and assessing you for approval.
In many cases, we will be able to form an idea of which children you could be matched with while we are still preparing and assessing you.
Supporting you after the placement of a child and after the Adoption Order
Additionally we are available for counselling, information and advice regarding support on adoption issues.
Examples of the services we provide are in these cases are:
- support and assistance in helping your child understand their life history
- an assessment of the adoption support needs of adoptive children, adopters and any child of the adopter pre-placement and then post-order if required
- early intervention, advice and support to address specific issues
- signposting to and liaising with other agencies for specialist services, for example, Education or Bromley Child and Adolescence Mental Health Service (CAMHS)
- access to Bromley Adoption developmental workshops for adoptive parents
- access to the Safebase Parenting Programme
- Support Services connected to contact arrangements, including both letterbox services and direct contact
- invitations to adoption events
- bi-annual newsletters
Therapeutic support can also be provided by our experienced Adoption Support Team including theraplay, VIPP (Video-feedback Intervention to promote Positive Parenting) and DDP (Dyadic Developmental Psychotherapy) therapeutic support.
The Adoption Passport
First4Adoption, an organisation supported by the Department of Health, produced an Adoption Passport.
The Adoption Passport sets out all the benefits of adoption.
You can download the Adoption Passport from the First4Adoption website [external website].
Get in touch
020 8313 4193
Duty service - open five days a week, 8.45am to 5pm
Come and see us
Prior registration is required before coming along to one of our events - please get in touch.
Complete our online information request form [external website]
Write to us
Adoption Team, London Borough of Bromley,
Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH