Can I adopt?
What do we look for in prospective adoptive families for our children?
Prospective adopters have to meet the eligibility list below:
- You must be over the age of 21
- You must have a bedroom for a child
- You must not have any serious criminal convictions including sexual offences, violent offences and/or cruelty to either adults or children
The vast majority of those considering adoption have no trouble meeting these criteria.
Just as important are personal factors, such as:
- Liking and enjoying children and young people as well as having an interest in learning more about them
- Patience, adaptability empathy and resilience - some of the children we need you to parent may be unpredictable because of their earlier life experiences
- Ability to provide a stable and caring environment for your child to grow up in
- A willingness to work with us throughout the process of adoption and your child’s life
- A sense of humour!
Adoption Myth Busting
We need a wide range of people to meet the many differing needs of our children.
Below are some of the common myths that we have heard over the years alongside the truth:
Get in touch
020 8313 4193
Duty service - open five days a week, 8.45am to 5pm
Come and see us
Prior registration is required before coming along to one of our events - please get in touch.
Complete our online information request form [external website]
Write to us
Adoption Team, London Borough of Bromley,
Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH